(NewsUSA) - As the population of the United States ages, home stairlifts are becoming increasingly popular. The installation of a stairlift allows many older adults who have difficulty with stairs but are otherwise in good health to remain in their homes and retain their independence.
Today's stairlifts are quiet, relatively inexpensive, and can be installed without any structural damage to the home or decor. However, if you are considering purchasing a stairlift, keep these questions in mind to help ensure that you get the best product, one that's the right fit for the structure of your home and for your personal health situation.
* Does it fit? Choose a stairlift that is available in a range of options to accommodate straight, curved, and outdoor stairways. Seek out stairlifts with a modular design that allows for quick and easy installation with no damage or changes to the home.
* Can you get good customer service after the installation? Be sure to find out the stairlift company's policies on maintenance and follow-up services for the products. Look for companies that are available seven days a week to respond to any questions or concerns you may have. That's why it's best to buy directly from the manufacturer when possible.
* What are the safety features? The latest technology of the best stairlifts, such as those manufactured by Acorn Stairlifts, includes safety features such as sensors on the foot platform that will stop the lift when triggered. In addition, make sure to ask whether your stairlift includes safety belts and lockable seats that can swivel for getting on and off easily, then stay locked into place.
* Is it easy to use? Consider who will be using the stairlift. Look for models with light touch controls designed for individuals with limited manual dexterity because of arthritis in the hands or other problems. A remote-control option is a key element to consider as well, so family members or others can operate the stairlift. Also, look for models that have earned the Ease-of-Use Commendation from the Arthritis Foundation.
* Is there a long wait to order/install the stairlift? Companies offering a modular design in stairlift technology can respond to an order and install a stairlift in hours rather than weeks.