Below is a diabetes-friendly, low-fat minestrone soup.
What You'll Need:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 can (15oz) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Time to Cook!
Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch over over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 4 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir water, sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes, rosemary, salt (optional), and pepper into saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Add kale; cover and cook 10 minutes or until tender. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with cheese.
Note: Choose kale in small bunches with firm leaves and a rich, deep color. Avoid bunches with limp, wilted, or discolored leaves. To remove the tough stems, make a "V-shaped" cut where the stem joins the leaf. Stack the leaves and cut them into pieces.
This recipe makes 4 servies (1 1/2 cups per serving)
Calories: 286, Carbohydrates: 48g, Protein: 13g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 4mg, Sodium: 189g, Fiber: 11g.
for more diabetes friendly meals.