The National Center for Health Statistics data states that 76.2 million or 26% of Americans suffer from chronic pain, and more than half of them state that a form of arthritis causes the pain.
Arthritis is an informal word referring to joint pain or disease. Arthritis is accompanied by chronic pain that can only be fully known by the individual suffering from the disease. The pain can affect a person’s health and can even contribute a great deal to depression. Arthritis does not affect every person’s joints the same so the best way of getting the right prescription needed for the pain is to describe the particular kind of pain being felt to your physician.
However, aside from being prescribed pills, there are natural and medical ways to relieve the pain. Arthritis Foundation’s Dorothy Feltz-Gray came up with a list of 15 ways you can manage pain without taking prescription pills.
1. Topical medications have sodium channel blockers that numb the nerve endings to ease the pain.
2. Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulations (TENS) requires a pocketsize portable machine, which sends a current to painful parts of the body.
3. Wearing the right shoes with appropriate design and mechanisms will help lessen the force received by the foot.
4. Steroids are synthetic versions of cortisol, which is the hormone that causes reduction of inflammation, which can help for extended periods of time.
5. Hyaluronic acid injection is a fluid of natural cartilage the cause the health of the knee joints affected by pain.
6. Exercise and physical therapy improve the body strength and function to reduce pain.
7. Heat and cold compresses help ease muscle adjust to ease pain. Heat increases blood flow and relaxes the muscle. Cold supersedes pain sensation and contracts blood vessels causing the reduction of swelling and inflammation.
8. Trigger point injections or injection of anesthesia and a corticosteroid to a group of muscle allows the tissues to normal structure for weeks or months.
9. Meditation results to less stress that also reduces inflammation and pain.
10. Nerve block stops the conduction of nerve signals and eases the inflamed tissue.
11. Acupuncture of placing tiny needles to release energy increases the production of endorphins that natural pain relievers and helps the body get rid of by products that cause pain.
12. Peripheral nerve simulation is when a physical implants a trial electrode under the painful peripheral nerve so large fast fibers get to the spinal cord before the thin fibers that carry pain.
13. Pain pumps deliver direct medication to a painful area to keep the patient from massive system-wide side effects.
14. Facet joint denervation uses radio frequency heat to tear down painful nerves. The injury to the nerve interrupts pain signal and typically comes back in three to twelve months.
15. Deep brain stimulation is an invasive therapy, which is usually the last option in relieving pain. An electrode in implanted in the brain and the wire from the implant is place under the skin of the head connecting to a generator. The continual impulses caused by the electrode disrupt pain messages.
Please consult your doctor to know the best option that fits your health situation because along side the relief it also has its own set of risks.
« Back to Blog Index