Happy National Safety Month! A good tip to keep in mind when thinking of safety in your home is to make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are up to date. Rule of thumb is that if your detectors are over 10 years old, it is time for them to be replaced. Too much carbon monoxide absorbed can be very fatal.
According to the CDC, more than 400 Americans die every year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning and more than 20,000 people are admitted to the emergency room. Carbon monoxide is a odorless and colorless gas that you cannot smell or see.
Making sure you’re replacing batteries and units often is crucial and will help prevent any unexpected injuries and fires. In the event there is a fire, exit immediately and call 911. Do not try and put the fire out yourself! Doing so may cause a serious injury to you or those around you.
To read more about Carbon Monoxide and what other safety measures you should take, click here.